Tuesday, June 21, 2011

C4T#2

I have been assigned Justin Tarte for this second comments for teachers.  Mr. Tarte is an educator that is transitioning into an assistant principals job.  The first post of his that I read was about the top ten things he has learned as an educator from his students.  One of the biggest things that he spoke of was to remember that the small conversation that we have with a student that really means nothing to us would mean the world to that student.  I think that this is something that is really important.
     In response to his post I commented on how important tips like this are to future students such as myself.  I need all the information that I can get to help me navigate when I get into my first classroom.  I plan on trying to use as many of his tips as I can.

a group of words all mixed up
     In Justin Tarte's second post that I read he was discussing the amount of time that a student actually spends in school from the ages of 0 to 18.  It is only 9% of their life in that 18 years that students are in a classroom learning.  He asked the question "What does this mean to you?"  So I told him.
    To mean this means how difficult our jobs really are as teachers.  We have an extremely limited amount of time with our students and we have to impart as much information as we possibly can to them.  Not only do we have to teach them the information needed to pass state testing (which I am not a fan of) but we have to teach these students ways to go farther and learn more information on their own.  Because of outside forces this can be an uphill battle.  Some students do not have people in their lives that feel that education is all that important.  Some of the role models that students have show a different type of learning as being more important.  This is what we must fight against in the 9% of their lives that we can have an affect on them.  As teachers it should be our goal to teach students how to learn and how important it is to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment