Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Blog Post #9

Life Long Learners

     I feel that Mr. Clung brings up a good point in that many teachers , not just new ones, forget to remember the crowd.  If we spend our time trying to make sure that we teach the perfect lesson and don't bother to make sure the students get it, then we aren't doing anyone any good.
    Remembering to be flexible is an idea that I think that we should always remember.  The day in a classroom will not go perfect and you will have to change or shift something.
     I don't think enough can be said about communication.  I feel that this is a key component to having  a good experience as a teacher and as a student.  If you don't communicate with the people around you your plan will be even more difficult to bring to fruition.
     Mr. Clung covers three things that we should see as the BIG 3.  Don't be afraid of technology, listen yo your students, and never stop learning.  Technology is our friend not our foe.  It can not only be a tremendous learning tool in the classroom, it can also help teachers manage their classes.  If you don't listen to your students when they try to communicate with you then you might as well just give the class up.  If they don't believe that you care about what they are saying then they won't bother to listen to you either.  And the biggie, NEVER stop LEARNING.  This should be the mantra of everyone not just teachers.  Knowledge is how we grow and evolve and it is process that should never be stopped.

3 comments:

  1. Not worrying about being perfect also applies to whether "all the students get it." That is rarely the case. And it certainly happens at different speeds and in different circumstances. So you really do have to be flexible!

    Last week Mr. McClung posted his third annual reflection. I think they get better and better. It will take only 5 minutes or so to read the 2010-2011 What I Learned This Year I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ouida! I agree with you completely. The biggest factor of all throughout life, no matter what the profession, is we can never stop learning. Every day there is something new that can be learned even if it is something small. I also believe that communication is important not just between teacher and student but also other teachers. If you can't get along with your fellow employees than your work day will be miserable and some problems you may encounter you won't have anyone there to assist you. Overall I thought this was a good post and I hope that when my days as a teacher come that I learn as much as Mr. McClung did each year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed this one the head. Teaching is a career that calls you to be firm, silly, consistent and flexible. I love teaching, because I love having an excuse to wear a tie and be goofy at the same time-- what I mean is that I like that kids respond to high energy, and I am energetic. I don't have to pretend to be serious because they respond to me best when I am myself. I remember that I am trying to keep them uplifted and engaged, and the best way for me to do that is to remember my audience and be a guide that is speaking on their level.

    Great response, you got me thinking!

    ReplyDelete