Sunday, June 26, 2011

Blog Post #8


This Is How We Dream Parts 1&2
     I was amazed to watch Richard Miller's presentation.  It brought so much information to the table for people to see.  The way that you can basically write a paper without just words is a new concept to me and I find it fascinating.
     While watching the video I was thinking "How do you get from your topic to the finished product?"  But then it came to me.  It is still writing.  You would follow the same steps as writing an "old-fashioned" paper.  You have to have an idea, then an outline.  You have to do your research the same as writing a basic paper.  Then you put it together using all the multimedia that you have found and of course site your sources.
     Mr. Miller stated that right now there is not a pedology to teach how to write with multi-media.  He is right. It will have to be a collaborative effort.  First teachers will have to get on board and work together to come up with a plan or a way to teach students how to use multimedia.
     At this time I am not prepared to write using multimedia.  I don't really know how yet.  I realize how benefical it would be to me as a teacher in my classroom.  Not only would I have a way to present information to my students in am interesting manner I would be able to show them how much info is out there and how to harness it to their advantage.  I plan to learn as much about using multi media in my writing as I possibly can.

Carly Pugh Blog Post
     I think Carly is a genius.  I think she comes as close as a person can to what Dr. Miller is describing in his video This is How we Write.  The idea of letting her students take an assignment and run with it is a fantastic philosophy. It allows students to think and use their creativity which is not usually used to its full potential.  I really like her ideas.  And creating a playlist of video's that inspire and lead your creativity is an idea that I am thinking about using my self.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 for Dummies
     We had to watch two video's for EDM310.  The Chipper series was about a student who just didn't seem to think the class was important and didn't bother with her assignments.  If I took this approach there is no way that I would pass the class.  The EDM310 for Dummies was basically a survival guide for the students.  It introduced everyone who watched to what was in store and how to deal with it.
     After watching these videos I have come up with a couple of ideas for my own videos.  Both are teaching videos.  I would really like to do a video on Google forms.  I know that many people in class had problem with the assignment.  Also the directions that we were given were not very detailed.  So I want to do a video that show step by step how to make a form and how to use each of the  types of questions.
    Also after attempting to make a video and not having much luck at it, I would like to create a video that shows how to use a PC to make a movie.  I know that this would be useful to other students as well. These are a coupule of the ideas that I would like to act on and create.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
     This video brings to light many of the things that are wrong in the education system today.  There are many things that need to change in our schools systems.  Students are being taught how to pass a test.  They are not taught skills that can be used throughout their lives.
     One of the speakers said that the change needs to start with the teachers.  Give the teachers the tools and teach them how to use them and then they can show their students how to use the tools as well.  When administrators and politicians realize that the system isn't working and are willing to listen to the teachers we will see a change in the system.

3 comments:

  1. "At this time I am not prepared to write using multimedia. I don't really know how yet." None of us have perfected it yet. It will take experimentation and practice. Try it. See what you can do!

    "I would really like to do a video on Google forms." Wonderful. Why not get your group to do it for Project 16?


    Or your second idea: "I would like to create a video that shows how to use a PC to make a movie." We have Premiere on the PCs in the lab. That is the best approach on a PC. There are more difficulties than on a Mac, but give it a try!

    "When administrators and politicians realize that the system isn't working and are willing to listen to the teachers we will see a change in the system." Any real hopes of this happening?

    Thoughtful, interesting. well done. Keep up the good work. And try at least one of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ouida!
    I'm also not quite ready to write using multimedia, but I think we'll get there with practice. I agree that it would be very useful in the classroom. It would probably help hold students' attention better. I really liked what your wrote for the "Learn to Change, Change to Learn" portion as well. I know that grades are necessary to motivate some people and "evaluate" how much is learned, but I think it would be so much better if students just wanted to learn and that was motivation enough.
    Enjoyed reading your post!

    Alana

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to your remark that Dr. Strange commented on-- I have a little something to add after seeing your hard work yesterday. You were at the forefront of your team trying to problem solve movie editing on my iPad yesterday. You were eager and diligent to learn-- and immediately, you took on the challenge to turn it into your "Teach Someone" project. That is exactly the kind of energy and attitude that inventive, flexible, and tech-savvy teachers share. You are well on your way. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete