Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blog Post 1

     Hello everyone.  My name is Ouida McDaniel.  I live in Lucedale, MS.  I am 32 years old and have been married for 13 years.  I have three children whose ages range form 10 to 6.  I am a Christian and attend most of the functions held at my church.  My world pretty much revolves around my children and the activities that they are involved in.
     South Alabama is an excellent University that is close to where I live.  That is the main reason that I am attending this school.  My major is in Secondary Education in Social Sciences.  I love history, economics, geography and reading which are the subjects that I will be teaching.  I have always enjoyed passing knowledge that I have learned to others.  Because of this I feel like I should be a teacher.  I want to show students how fun learning can be and to teach them how to learn.  I believe that if we can teach students how to learn than we can create in them life long learners.
     I have learned by looking at the Penn State website that  I am a procrastinator.  I have accepted that and know that I have to find ways to change my thinking of time and how I manage it.  This website is fantastic and should be mandatory for all students to read.  Several of the tips will be beneficial to me.  First, the use of a planner.  If I use a calender and a daily schedule I will better be able to see how I am using my time.  I will also be able to keep myself from attempting to put to much into one day.  Monitoring my time is another tip that I will be making use of .  I will be able to set my schedule to maximize my time.  Most important for me will to be sure I schedule some breaks in the day as the website suggests.  I have three kids who are home for the summer and they require a good bit of attention.  I have several time wasters in my life.  I watch too much T.V. and have allowed it to cut into the time I need to be spending  on projects. The whole section on procrastination is geared  toward me.  Using the tip to overcome my procrastination will allow me to reach my goals for my classes and for my life.  I think the tips to break big jobs down into smaller parts will be very beneficial to me.  If I do this it will help me from feeling overwhelmed.  In all this assignment will be a great help to me.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Ouida,

    I am glad that you have chosen to be a teacher. I wanted to point out something that you said: "I believe that if we can teach students how to learn than we can create in them life long learners." That is exactly what we want you to teach, but it is also something that we want all EDM students to do.

    I am glad that you have found use from the website about procrastination. Use those tips that you talked about because you will need it in this class

    If you ever need any help this semester feel free to contact me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouida,
    I know that you are going to be a great teacher. I have enjoyed having EDM 310 EDU 400 with you. I know that you have a long drive everyday, you are welcome to come to my house if you ever need a lunch break. Have a great weekend. Regina Sawyer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouida,
    I know that you are going to be a great teacher. I have enjoyed having EDM 310 EDU 400 with you. I know that you have a long drive everyday, you are welcome to come to my house if you ever need a lunch break. Have a great weekend. Regina Sawyer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ouida,
    I can see that we both share a profound passion for teaching. I am glad to see that you are going to school to become a social science teacher. I too am a big procrastinator and hopefully with some calendar planning I will eliminate that from my qualities. I also am a Christian and try to live my life through Christ everyday. I think it is a good thing that you have children because that is some of the best experience you can get. I look forward to a great summer semester with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you benefitted from the lessons on time management.

    One typo that stands out. ...to much TV should be too much TV.

    Welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Dr. Strange. I am sorry I missed that. Is it possible for me to go back and change that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are always welcome to go back and edit Ouida. In fact, reflection and correction is one of the most important lessons that EDM tries to teach. You are already on the right track!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok. I have fixed my errors I think. I hope it is correct now. Thank you Dr. Strange for telling me of my mistake and Anthony thank you for letting me know it was ok to fix my mistake.

    ReplyDelete