Sunday, June 12, 2011

Blog Post #4




Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?

     Scott McLeod is a very interesting writer. This poem has two meanings to me. First, he shows how technology is viewed by most teachers and parents. As a matter of fact I am a parent who worries about what my kids might run into on the Internet. I am also very uneducated as most parents are to what is out there that can actually help my children learn if used correctly.
     Second, it is a statement to those of us who are scared. He tells us to go ahead and not allow our children to learn to use the different technologies at our disposal. While we act paranoid of what our kids might see he will be teaching his how to use these things to be more knowledgeable. And in so doing making sure that his children will be pick for scholarships and jobs over those who have not been taught the same skills.
     This article should be a wake up call to us paranoid parents. We need to learn what is out is out there and how to use it. Then we need to learn techniques to help protect our kids while giving them all advantages  possible. Since Dr. McLeod is the Director of the UCEA Center for the Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education, which is the nation's only academic center dedicated to the technology needs of school administrators, he is in a position to see what new technologies are out there. I believe he sees the prejudices against technology and is trying to educated schools as to the benefits of using these technologies. I hope to read more of his writings to educate myself in order to help my students and my children.

The iSchool Initiative

     I am very impressed with Travis Allen's video. I had not heard of iSchool before and the concept is very interesting to me. This first thing I thought watching this video was how professional the video was. I believe this is the result of being taught how to use technology. I was also amazed at the possibilities of the iSchool. For myself I was thinking how great it would be to do everything with one device. I am thinking it would make my life much easier to manage.
     As I was watching Mr. Allen's video, it became clear to me that the idea behind the iSchool has good merit. It would allow schools to save money but also parents. But to me there is a down side as well. What happens when a student loses his device? Do the students turn them in at the end of the school year or do they keep them through the summer? I think the start up cost would be very costly. It would be good to see a trial run with the system in a school so real data could be obtained. I am interested in keeping tabs on the initiative to see how it is progressing.

You Can't Be My Teacher

     I like that a child was used in this video to get the point across. It shows how much even small children know about computers and different forms of technology. He asks if his teacher is going to be using technology to teach him. He also wants to know if the teacher knows how to use technology? This shows how much children want to learn using these techniques.
     I feel this video shows how important it is for teachers to learn new and creative ways to teach. Our children are very smart and are learning things much faster than their parents. As teachers we should be harnessing their interest and lead them into learning avenues that are safe but enhance their learning experiences. If we do this they will remember what they are learning and be able to continue to learn after they leave the classrooms behind.

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir

     I think that this is an amazing use of technology. I am a baby when it comes to knowing all the things that a computer and the Internet can be used for. I was not aware that you could create a performance without the singers and director even meeting. To me this opens all sorts of avenues for world classrooms.
     I believe this is an excellent use for the Internet. I feel that things like this should be be reason the Internet was created. This type of usage would be wonderful for creating a multi-cultural classroom. The possibilities really are limitless.

Teaching in the 21st Century

     The first thing I thought as I was watching this video is the fact that where my kids go to school cellphones, ipods, and other technology from home is not allowed. Administrators and teachers do not understand the value of these devices as helpful in the classroom. The video showed that the roles of teachers have shifted. It is not just feeding children information. They can get information from several sources. Instead teachers need to show them the way to use these sources to get the correct information.
As a future history teacher I am learning that I won't have to just stand and lecture to my students.  With the proper use of things like google earth and other sites I can get the attention of the students and make them interested in learning the subject but at the same time show them how to use the technology.  I believe this is what this video is trying to get across.  There are much better ways to teach and if we have the opportunity to use these things in our classrooms then we should not be afraid to do it.

3 comments:

  1. It is amazing what is available free. In the next Special Assignment you will learn about The Kahn Academy. This is a most fascinating project by a graduate of MIT who has embarked on developing instructional material, free instructional material, covering math, history, physics and finance. They are also soliciting help from teachers.

    Thoughtful, thorough. Well written. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ouida McDaniel,


    "It would allow schools to save money but also parents. But to me there is a down side as well. What happens when a student loses his device? Do the students turn them in at the end of the school year or do they keep them through the summer? I think the start up cost would be very costly. It would be good to see a trial run with the system in a school so real data could be obtained. I am interested in keeping tabs on the initiative to see how it is progressing."

    I found the iSchool Initiative to be very interesting. I like the way you pointed out the good merits along with the down falls to the iSchool. More money, will be saved and less trees will be cut down to print textbooks. In my opinion, if students were required to pay a few everytime their devices' are lost, then they will be more responsible with keeping up with them. Also, I do not feel they should be given full responsibility for their devices untill they have reached a reasonabe age. Great Post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouida,

    You are always so thorough! I like that you saw the contrast between many of our average teachers, and those like McCleod. He does not fear the unknown, but embraces the technologies that are being used in the business world and adapting them to the educational realm. Is there a better way to prepare our students than to give them the tools that they will use tomorrow?

    ReplyDelete