Thursday, July 14, 2011

C4T#4

On my last Comment for Teachers I was Assigned Ira David Socol. The post that I first read was about how people change certain things about themselves in order to "fit "in with a certain group.   He starts by talking about the movie PYGMALION

and how Eliza is not seen as a person by Dr. Higgins till he has changed her into his creation.  But she is not able to go back to being the flower seller that she was before because she no longer fits into that group as well.  He then goes on to discuss how this is apparent in our country as well and had been for years.
     In response to him I shared my own experience with this as a Southerner with a bit of a thick accent.  I have personally seen how "educated" people look at someone who sounds country.  When  giving a report once I noticed that my audience tuned me out after about a minute.  At first I thought it was because I was boring.  But after a lecture in another class about how different dialects are looked on  I wondered if maybe it was my speech that was the problem.  So when I had to give to presentation again I fell back on the lessons learned in my voice classes many years ago.  I tried to lessen my accent as much as possible.  I noticed that my audience actually listened to me.    To me people who do not use Kings English are thought to be ignorant. Unfortunately on a whole we seem to see see people who are different than us as less than us whether it is skin color, birth, or speech.

    In the second post of Mr. Socol he is speaking about the problems in the world.  he starts by showing a speech of JFK in Houston.  He explains that the people in power after WWII saw that our country need to grow and change for the better.  Even though they know it will require sacrifice they would create a better place for future generations.  But now governments are spending their time saying what they can't do instead of saying we are going to do it and finding the way to do it.  Mr. Socol says that we need heros like the JFK's of the past who were not afraid of the challenge and how to invest in our future.  I completely agree with him.  We need people who can be heros.  We need people who say this what is wrong and we are going to fix it.  It will be hard and it will take sacrifice but we will create a better world.  When our heros step up and are willing to change the way things are and actually start making changes we will see a better world for our children.

No comments:

Post a Comment